This classic beef chili recipe is a simple dish that consists of the classic meaty base, beans and tomatoes, spices, and (for us) a whole lot of toppings! Sometimes, nothing can beat the classic! Let us know what you think in the comments!
Classic Beef Chili Recipe
Makes: 6 servings Total Time: 45 minutes
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 yellow onion, diced
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 1 lb lean ground beef
* 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 ½ teaspoons salt
* ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
* ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 ½ cups beef broth (or water)
* 1 (15oz.) can diced tomatoes
* 1 (15oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (15oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (8oz.) can tomato sauce
Toppings as desired-
* Shredded cheese
* Lime wedges
* Sour cream
Add olive oil to a large pot and place over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the ground beef to the pot and break apart with a spoon or spatula. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the chili powder, brown sugar, tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir until combined. Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with juice), beans, and tomato sauce. Stir again.
Bring the liquid to a low boil, then reduce heat to low and gently simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving with desired toppings